Wednesday, September 28, 2016

What Happens when You Don't Make Your Goals? You Keep Going, Of Course #WriterWednesday #amwriting #goals

About a week ago I started prepping my blog posts for 2017, including my yearly writing goals... And that got me to thinking about my 2016 goals, and one goal in particular that I am not going to achieve. I'd planned to release five novels this year, but that just won't be happening.

I started off strong, and released Changing Scenes on January 5. The Virgin Queen released on April 5, and Copper Veins FINALLY came out on July 27. And then...crickets. The other two titles I'd intended to release this year were Changing Fate, the third installment in my contemporary romance series, Changes, and Rise of the Deva'shi, the third Chronicle of Parthalan. After I was done being mad at myself for not making these goals, I took a step back and tried to figure out what happened.

In the case of Changing Fate, there were a few things going on. In all honesty Changing Scenes came out way too quickly (Changing Teams released October 29, 2015, and Changing Scenes hit the shelves on January 5, 2016), and I never got the chance to properly promote it.  Add that to the fact that I have two other currently-releasing series, am querying a fourth, am in grad school full time, and have the Wonder Twins, husband, and pets to wrangle, and, well, I think you know why Changing Fate isn't coming out until next year. Oy.

The situation is a bit different for Rise of the Deva'shi. Even though this is the third Chronicle of Parthalan, it was originally released back in 2009. (Long story. Someday, when y'all have insomnia, I'll tell you all about it.) So it was supposed to re-release this year, being that Bellatrix Press picked up the entire series. Everything was lined up, and then... well, I did a thing.

I was supposed to hand over the manuscript to the editor by August 1. In the meantime I'd been reworking and tweaking away, and I kept getting stuck on this one section. It didn't really fit with the overall tone of the book, and our hero, Aeolmar, was behaving out of character. There were some good scenes in that passage, and some awesome bits of dialogue, but in the end it had to go.

So, the day before the manuscript was due, I cut 24,000 words.

Yes, twenty four THOUSAND.

As you can imagine, this turn of events meant that the manuscript was delivered somewhat later than promised, hence the delayed release date. But you know what? I'm glad I chopped out that part of the story. Now my editor is concentrating on the actual meat of the novel, not trying to make a few bits of dialogue and weird scenes fit into the overall narrative. This means that when Rise of the Deva'shi is released, it will be a stronger story. Since I took my time with Changing Fate, it will be a stronger story, too.

Your take-away from all of this is DON'T RUSH YOUR WRITING. I don't recommend making huge plot changes the day before your deadline, either, but if you need more time don't be afraid to ask for it. The story takes as long as it takes. And you do want to put out the best story possible, right?
 ProvostHeirToTheSun  Heir to the Sun is currently on sale for 99 cents here: http://amzn.to/2cSkNSx

 My next appearance will be at Bing Comic Con in Springfield, MA on October 22: http://www.bingcomiccon.org/

StrangeAuthorsSign up for my mailing list here and get a free ebook anthology, Strange Authors!

No comments:

Post a Comment